Saturday, September 18, 2010

Visual Thinking Research

Me
My Brother's
I challenged my brother to do the puzzles with me but with a time limit. I wanted to employ the "perceptual speed" test. We are constantly challenging each other all the time so this was a pretty fun activity. We started with "The Cat" puzzle to start off easy or so I thought. It didn't took me long to solve the puzzle yet my bother was struggling still. I'm way faster than him because every time he played a video game such as "Resident Evil" where puzzle solving, dealing with riddles, and finding clues to complete a mission was necessary, i was the one who solve them all, so i got used to it. My patter-seeking perception was/is always active, constantly filling in missing pieces of information, finding ways to fill those missing pieces in, matching objects, categorizing and so on to solve the game.Everyone is constantly doing it too, they're just not aware of it. Though i finish mine first with an 18 as an answer and my bother kept getting 16 somehow every time, my answer was wrong. I kept the answer on my image and my brothers' too. On my brother's image you can see that the number was originally 16 till after he realize he wasn't counting the inside of the eyes that he change it to 18. It was until i looked at the answer that i found out the correct answer was 20. So i went back and looked at the puzzle again compering my answer with the answer sheet to see where i had miss some information. It was on the tail. I initially counted 5 triangles but there are 7. 

Me
My Brother's
The challenge was not over yet. Our next challenge was "The Quarrelsome Neighbors", quite an interesting puzzle. So we did the same thing, we set a time limit to see who was better.  So i begin with what i usually do; i categorize and match the information provided. Then i find more details to fill out the missing pieces. This puzzle was more challenging and it took me more time to figure it out . At the end it was me again who won. My brother in other hand just got frustrated so he decided to looked at my answer when i went to get a glass of water. Thought the answer wasn't exactly the same as in the answer sheet it still worked. There was more than one answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment